Monday, September 07, 2009

Talk Back

This begins my 10th year of teaching at this school - holy schinkeys - that is nearly 1/3 of my life! That is just how young I am! In 3 times this length of teaching, I can retire...Or 4 times!

Every year after the first week of teaching my body talks back to me. Here are a few of its favorite things to say:
  • Pineal gland: "There's still melatonin here. We can't get up yet! Turn off that alarm and go back to bed."
  • Lower extremity phalanges: "Do you really need to wear those shoes with the covers on them? We really enjoy breathing! Let us out!"
  • Gastrocnemius: "You need to find a way to sit on your butt! We hurt so much!"
  • Larynx: "Would you just shut up?! I'm tired of being used so much. You don't NEED to talk at lunch, too!"
  • Tympanic membrane: "Yep, the kids at school whine as much as the ones at home! I think it might be a bit lower pitched though."
  • Urinary bladder: "Stop drinking! I don't have any more room!"
Now here comes the biggest internal conversation I have during the first week.
  • Larynx: "No, we need more tea!"
  • Urinary bladder: "I can't handle any more! We better go!"
  • Prefrontal cortex: "Okay, you guys we have to make a decision here. We can either wait the 25 mintues until the bell rings and we can relax the urinary bladder or we can make a run for the bathroom and be gone for 1.75 mintues. Thoughts?"
  • Urinary bladder: "Let's get out of here. No one will even notice if the teacher isn't in the room.
  • Prefrontal cortex: "So should I tell them we're going to stop out?"
  • Larynx: "Naawww, I'm tired. Just sit down and cross your legs."
  • Lower extremity phalanges: "Yeah go with that. It might take us a long time to get there and back."
  • UB: "Must Go! NOW!"
 Looking forward to October.

When all of these things have come back into balance, and I get to teach real Newton and environment instead of routines!

Let's go in, do a good job now, so this can be a fun year!

1 comment:

Jen said...

Good luck! I'm thinking of you today!