Thursday, February 04, 2010

Update on My Dad

Several requests have come to ask about my dad.

For the past 5 years, my Mom has taken care of nearly everthing that my Dad needed. He was diagnosed about 5.5 years ago with ALS - for which there is no cure. She has recently had 6 hours/ week of respite from a wonderful woman. It is more than a full time job, and she took some time to travel to see my sister in Taiwan.

My brother came to take care of Dad last week. I was on for this week. Over the course of these 2 weeks he has lost so much strength. He agreed to go to the hopital on Tuesday. The tests revealed that he had had a heart attack some time in the past week or two. The ER stabilized him and brought him up to the ICU. He had another heart attack on Tuesday night in the ICU. He had asked me keep him around until Mom got home, so my job was clear.

Mom came home 24 hours early from her trip yesterday. (This posting/info might come as a surprise to some of you. I didn't post anything here b/c I didn't want her to read anything while she was gone. She had a FABULOUS trip. I saw the pictures last night, and I agree!) We have all had a chance to say good bye. Dad is resting comfortably right now in the ICU. 

As of tonight, Brenda and her family should have landed in the Cities. The weather here is pretty messy, so I'm not sure what they will decide to do. 

It was an honor to be able to care for him in his last few days in his childhood home. We got to have some wonderful conversations. And I learned to appreciate the hard work that my mom has been doing for all of this time.

It is really quiet here at the farm all alone - there is no youtube, TV or biPAP.

Good night

2 comments:

Jen said...

Thinking & praying. Let me know if there is anything more concrete that I can do. I am so glad that Brenda was able to see him! Miss you.

Beth said...

Glad all of you are together. Prayers and love to your family from ours.