Tuesday, October 12, 2010

We're trying!

It is a realatively new routine with our Princess. She tends to not be able to get herself to sleep. I'm not sure if it is stubbornness (though I'm sure that would be a trait from her dad, if it was) or if it is that she's not tired.

She gets up repeatedly at night when we put her down to sleep. I gave up trying to give naps sometime this spring. Unless she's completely wiped out, then she goes right to sleep.

So we implemented the take away a toy routine if she comes out of her room. Take for instance last Thursday (we've been doing this for about 2 weeks already) she came out 4 times. All 4 toys were promently displayed on the trophy case entertainment center. The last time she came out was to see what toy number 3 was that I had taken away, so I went in and took another. Then she stayed.

I came home at 8:30 tonight after Lego League. There was an added toy to the case center. And she came out to ask about a Playdoh sculpture she had made on Sunday. I took one more toy. She responded with "That's okay, Mommy. I don't like the rest of my toys."

And really, she doesn't play with toys.

She likes to make crafts and color and talk.

We can take away the crafts.

We can take away the colors.

But she talks all the time!

A trait she got from her father - It is carried on chromosome #20, I think.

5 comments:

Brenda said...

Yeah, I can't believe how much her dad talks. Can't control him, can you?

TeacherAmee said...

Hey! We do this technique too, only we take away the pillow or their covers. That really makes em mad. They can't get them back either, until they are quite for 5 minutes, during which time they are usually asleep. Then we sneek in and cover them up. In order to get Idan to go to sleep we have to "run" him like a dog. Seriously, a night time walk/run is what it takes for him:)

Jen said...

What about taking away Baby McButtPatches? I know the house would be miserable while she screams it out, but might it teach the lesson?

B Haack said...

She's super tired tonight....but she needed a hug, a wanted to change her jammies, wanted to have something to eat, wanted to have something to eat - I mean drink.

The trophy case is pretty ful. Might have to consider the blanket/baby McButtPatches ideas - both are prized possesions.

Heidi said...

Oh that stubborn/smart little girl! She is a cutie... maybe not to you on her fourth trip from her bedroom :) Hope you don't run out of room on your trophy case!