Thursday, March 03, 2011

Blandin: Part 1

As many of you know I was invited and applied and was accepted to be part of the Blandin Community Leadership Program. So 23 of us from La Crescent went to Grand Rapids, MN for the warmest week of the winter! Yep, we missed the delight of the 50's and 60's we heard about. Though we did enjoy the 40's.

And I must say that those of you who are eligible (Mom, you might be the only reader who is eligible! Ohhh nope, Sanny is too!) to attend should really take advantage. It was a fantastic experience. And it has already changed a few things in my life.

So today you get to read about impact number one -  Lego League - tonight, I just emailed in my letter of resignation. I will no longer be the middle school coach. We have over 70 students grades 4-9 involved in La Crescent. There are only 5 adults. In the school programs, there are 3 adults and 60 kids. This is not a sustainable program. It will melt down. I don't want that to happen. I want my children to be able to try it out and see if they like it.

I don't want to get burnt out on coaching children before my own children are there. I need to enjoy it, and I'm not right now. Though I did love that my team chose to research how to use nanobots to cure ALS as their research topic. And they picked it on Dad's birthday. :)

So on to new excitement with Lego League. I now need to organize some "stakeholders," to use the Blandin term, that are interested in seeing this move forward. Someone suggested that we meet soon. Next week is spring break, so that means the following week is meeting time for whoever wants to see this move forward. Since I'm tied up in pool meetings for 2 nights that week and 1 night of Blandin meeting. I guess that leaves us with Thursday.  Tomorrow night, I'll send out that note and hope that someone can make it. I'm sure they'll all be beat from this pool work.

That is the next update.

And it is a good story.

You'll want to check back again.

Now I'm off to watch some special on ALS.

Good night!