Thursday, June 18, 2009

Early Bird Gets the Ball

This week we started tball for 5 and 6 year olds. And it is SO cute! Next week is his first game. Early Bird's team, the Crawdad's plays agains the IronPigs at 5pm. It is bound to be a good game. Both teams go in undefeated in a league history. I hear the Pigs have quite the hitter in that Kreutzman kid, so everyone will be playing taking a step back when he comes up to the plate.

The rules for tball make for an interesting night. The first child up to bat swings until he gets a ball in play, and he runs to 1st base. He then advances to 2nd on the next hit and to 3rd on the next hit. On the 4th hit, he gets to run home. (I'm secretly wondering which kid will really run for their house!) (I guess it isn't such a secret anymore!) This continues until each kid on the team has hit. And then the really cool part comes...The last kid hits a grand slam! The game is limited to 2 innings or 50 minutes, which ever comes first. And then we all run home or out for ice cream!

For defense, everyone plays infield - as there probably won't be any hits to the outfield. Someone gets the ball and throws it toward 1st base. (Hopefully.)

I'm so excited - It will be so much fun! And we get see the Kreutzman's Kid!