Monday, June 01, 2009

Lazy or Creative?

I'm not sure which one I fall under... I had a desire to make some cookies tonight. I don't have a lot of ingredients around and I'm not going to the store - 4.5 miles! So it had to be something that could be made with what I had on hand. And I thought that maybe it should be a bit healthish, but still a cookie. We like oatmeal; then it is like breakfast bar. Right? These are a lot of requirements. So I went to Mom's church cookbook and found the recipe for
Trailside Oatmeal Cookies.

It goes a bit like this:
1 3/4 c flour
1/2 c butter or oleo
1c sugar
1c brown sugar
1 t vanilla
2 1/2 c oatmeal
1 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1/2 c chunk-style peanut butter
2 eggs
1/4 c milk
1/2 c chocolate chips and raisins

Here's how I made it:

Mix dry ingredients (using whole wheat flour instead) in a bowl for the Berry Princess to stir.

It should be better for us.

Decide to add 1/4 c of cocoa powder - just b/c chocolate is good.

I wonder what I should do differently about this?

Soften butter in microwave.

Realize you don't have 1 cup of brown sugar - in fact it is only 1/8 of a cup.

Do I run to the store?

No.

Fill it to 1 cup with regular sugar.

Use 1 c of regular sugar for the regular sugar.

Hope for the best.

Add vanilla, pb (use natural), add eggs - mix.

No, Princess you can't have eggs in yours. We'll mix ours together.

Add milk - use a little extra as the whole wheat flour is thicker.

Answer phone.

Get disconnected.

No, Princess you can't have milk in yours. We'll mix ours together.

Answer phone again!

Mix 2 bowls together.

Add 1/2 c semisweet choc chips

Talk and listen.

Add 1/2 c white chocolate chips

Talk and listen.

No sweetie, you can't eat yet.

Add a few more b/c chocolate is good.

Wonder if we have enough chocolate.

hmmmmm I guess so.

Nay! How about a few more.

Stir in some oats - I'm not really sure how many cups I used, but I think it was close.

Hang up phone.

Hope for the best.

Taste.

Hmmmmmmm, pretty good.

Yes Princess, you can taste some. How about we have some supper first?

"Cookies?!!" with anticipation!

No, sweetie, we're having pasta.

"I Want Cookies!"

All right, after pasta.

She ate the pasta - not the cheese inside the pasta.

And then ate cookies.

And then had a belly ache!

They turned out pretty good. Best right out of the oven of course, but nonetheless good.

Now you have a complete recipe for the making of the Chocolate Trailside Oatmeal Cookie!

4 comments:

Brenda said...

Glad BP liked it. I'm often out of brown sugar and just use regular. Seems to work fine for me, too

Cari said...

I've got the ingredients for "Monster Cookies" that Elyse has been asking to make. We were going to make them for our rummage sale last weekend, but got too busy to make them. --Similar to your trailside cookies (with PB, chocolate, oatmeal...). Love the play by play!

Jen said...

I think you can mix molasses in with regular sugar to make your own brown sugar. Of course, molasses is not a kitchen staple at my house, but maybe at yours! The cookies sound yummy either way!

Grandma G said...

I love all the chocolate. That's what I call a cookie!!!