Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Long Time - No Write!

Sorry, I've taken such a hiatus from writing here.

But summer has arrived. We are on pretty much finished with day 3 of our summer routine. Today we cleaned the garage!

And that was not what was worth the blog post. No we have much bigger news than that.

Our Berry Princess has graduated! After 2 days of pulling her around town for activities in the Burley trailer, I decided it was time for the Trail-a-bike. She was not in favor of this idea. (This is also the girl who decided there should be guard rails on the pike, b/c you might fall off into the water. And the girl who wouldn't let go of the coach while on the balance beam at gymnastics.)

We had tried it several weeks ago. She screamed until I thought the state patrolman was going to come over to see what kind of abuse we were doing to our child. So we decided to wait.

But I'm done waiting. On Tuesday I went online and found a back rest that would help our chicken princess feel more secure. Now, here's where the story gets interesting...I found it at 10:30 for $35 from a vendor on Amazon.com. But I decided to check with the local bike dealers. The first one said they couldn't get it from their distributors; the second one took my credit card info. He called back a few minutes later and said that his distributors didn't have any in stock. So while he's on the phone, I go back to Amazon. The price has jumped to $67 - in 45 minutes! He says he will call them and ask about it. He called me back to say that the distributor had a shipment that had just come in and there was 1 left! He bought it for us - for less than $67 plus shipping!

And 36 hours later, it is installed!

This led to a bit of anxiety over getting on said "super-high-bike-with-no-covering-to-protect-me-from-getting-hurt" trail-a-bike. So we went up on the road. Just so you know, I was totally prepared to bribe with a trip to Corky's for ice cream; Hubby totally thought we'd never see the day she'd get on this thing and let it move.

So here's how it went down:
1. I have not used the trail-a-bike often, so Early Bird and I tried it out to make sure it worked. And I must say that one must be much more attentive to stability when there's a wiggly one behind you. It was good to try it out with someone who knew what he was doing.
2. We went up on the road and hoisted the Princess onto her stead.
3. "AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH I don't want to do this!"
4. I walked the bike; she pedaled.
5. "We'll just go up here to Curly's house and then I'll get on and we'll ride home."
6. "Don't you dare get on it!"
7. We got to Curly's house.
8. We turned around.
9. I got on it.
10. We rode home.
11. "Mommy, can we do it again?"
12. Okay.
13. This time we went to the "top" of our hill - very little incline.
14. "How fast do you want to go down the hill?"
15. "Really fast!"
16. We made it home.
17. "Mommy, that was SO FUN!"
18. We took picts, but the ones of her jumping up and down are blury

I wish I were kidding, but she seriously LOVED it!

And we didn't have to go out for ice cream! Sorry to Corky's!

Do we tell Early Bird that she is younger when she did this than he was for his first time?

2 comments:

Beth said...

so cute!!! She is a brave girl. I was telling Jason about how she rode around in the trailer and he wants to get one now. I am still chicken myself and will stick to the forest preserve. Let me know if you want to unload the chariot, we could take it off your hands. Is it one you can run behind also?

Grandma G said...

Good thing she doesn't have to steer because she's not looking at where she's headed. Such a little girl for a big "bike". Glad she adjusted so quickly.