Okay, my happily blogging sister thinks I've waited too long to write again. Perhaps she right. . . but last week was a demanding week - I met with over 4o parents during conferences and still had 5 days of teaching 130 students, and I turned 29 - again! I guess that means we're having fun! If the time flies, I mean. It was crazy how the 60 hour work week can really wear on a person. I couldn't do that many times in a row.
I was completely crashed last weekend. I don't think I accomplished anything on Saturday. Sunday I stayed home from church with a sleeping toddler. Later that evening she ended up with bright red fingers and toes - No, it wasn't hand foot and mouth. Called the nurse line and put her to bed. She's been fine ever sense. (After looking online for picts of h-f-m, I realized that it sounded familiar to me b/c dad had talked about hoof and mouth disease! I don't think she had either one!)
But back to the skipping of church. . . I decided to do a little blog reading of my own and found that the Chalke website had an interesting video from youtube on new math strategies. Later on Sunday, while I was grading physical science test, I saw evidence of these in action. This all just validates that we need to teach our own kids to add, subtract, multiply and divide in their heads. There is no drill and practice, there are no time tests, many can't multiply by 10 without getting out the calculator! Tony might hate his mother for this, but he will do these things at home. Life sure must stink to be the kid of a teacher.
I also was reading some of the other blogs that I have listed on the side. . . I have really enjoyed reading about fat doctor and this entry really made me cry. Please, take the time to read the comments. It is really mushy. Made me think this blog is completely boring! After reading a few others, I also think maybe I'm being a bit to open about names and such, so I think I'll refer to people a little more cryptic now that this isn't password protected. If you know us, then you'll know who daughter and son and husband are.
And here's one for Brother. I don't know if he ever reads this. Brother's wife does and I'm sure she'll point him here. There is this calc teacher with a blog. I like her style. Now that I mention it is a girl, maybe the wife won't tell him about it!
So how was that one sister? Hey, Sister did you know that other people are going from my site to yours and keeping up with your family too?! It is so cool to find out about life on the other side of the world. I think we might also be interested to hear some of your school stories. Blog back!
3 comments:
Mental math? or at least on scratch paper? I'm always shocked because our students can't us calculators for exams for fear of cheating. So upper level HS math students are doing calc-type operations on scratch paper. Wow.
No one would cheat! Would they?
Here's the reality . . . "0.6 X ten? I didn't know I needed a calculator today! Can I borrow one?" This was from a freshman in the more advanced math track.
well, it makes the cheating more creative - like looking over someone's shoulder. So the answer is 60, right?
Post a Comment