Monday, May 19, 2008

A Garden

I am so ready for winter to be over!!!!!!! Grrrr! Let's get out of the house! I want to wear something other than sweaters to work! So we decided to plant the garden with or without the help of mother nature.


Last year we planted it all in June. It was good - Mom and I and Early Bird planted while Berry Princess laid around with Papa and Daddy at the bottom of the hill.


This year was different . . . Again I had 2 helpers, but lost about 60 years of experience in the trade. They carted pea seeds all around the garden with their dump trucks - We'll see where they planted peas. Actually, Early Bird did a very nice job of putting the seeds in the row. Berry Princess did a great job of following behind and picking them up. The Berry Princess had so much fun digging, but tears fell on her dirt-covered face when I covered them with dirt!



"How did she get dirt on her face?" You ask.

"Well, you have to taste it to make sure it is good enough for the seeds of course." The mom shakes her head and sighs.


This truely is a family garden - Husband (you know he really needs a good alias too!) did a great job of tilling the garden. I can't believe that I used to do it all by hand. Okay, not really by hand - I did use a spade, and it took 4 or 5 evenings to dig up. (True story!) Now this year Husband did it with a row tiller and a pulled hamstring. Be sure appreciate that he was injured while he did it. Then he followed that up with a push mower on the hilly parts of the yard and an icing in front of the TV. I'd show picts of him doing the work but the Berry Princess is just too scared to let go of me while there is a motor running in the neighborhood.

No comments: