It is that time of year again. When kids I haven't seen in 2 years drop by with some graduation invites so that I can buy them a present. What do you get for the kid who has a bigger house than you, a nicer car than you and a better __ whatever - you fill in the blank? No really, what do you get them? And what if you have 3 or 4 of these parties to go to? What if I was his homebound teacher, too?
Then there's the cool ones. The one's who's family we know so well from church, I had the kid in class for 2 years, and we really want to be friends with them. What do you get him?
Or how about the one who's been in my room for 7 of 8 semesters - 4 as a student and 3 as my assistant, I wrote her several letters of recommendation and depend on her for everything and she's awesome?! (She also seriously dates our financial planner's son.)
Or how about the one who wrote a note to say thank you for the letter of recommendation to get into Dartmouth college in New Hampshire and is getting her college diploma? What will we get her for the PhD?
And this is just day 2 of getting invites. . . there's a few more expected.
So far my rules have been:
1. We go only if it is the weekend of graduation.
2. I used to give a plant in a nice pot with an inspirational saying on the bottom.
3. Then I had 2 kids so we gave some cash. I don't like cash - it is sort of lazy - but it does more than pay for the meal we eat.
4. Every year I make rules that I will be able to follow forever.
So what does everyone else do? Some just don't go to anything for anyone. Some go to everyone they possibly can. One teacher used to start shopping in fall for all of the graduations she had to go to in the spring.
So really what do we do? I'm open to suggestions.
1 comment:
Hi there... wanted to drop by and thank you for linking to my blog. I look forward to being a frequent visitor and getting a chance to enjoy your wonderful writing.
Good luck with the graduation choices.
Post a Comment