Saturday, August 29, 2009

Random thoughts while cutting

This morning I was feeling ambitious and decided to deep clean the house. Then at about 10:30 when I am nearly done have just taken the house apart to work on this big adventure, the phone rings. "A guy" who has some chickens that he raised on the ridge behind us is going to be butchering today and wondered if we wanted any. Sure, we'll take 5 is my response. Then I hang up the phone and remember my husband doesn't like chicken, we have a small freezer, and it is nearly full. And what was the guy's phone number? And his name isn't in the phone book? I guess I'll figure out what to do with 5 free range chickens.

After the Hubby went out for with the guys and the kids were in bed and the house was cleaned, I started in on these 5 chickens. Fortunately they are cleaned of all inerds. Over the next 1.5 hours I had some time to think. Here were the highly thoughtful things I thought about tonight: (Listed in order of apperance.)
  • I don't think I like that they are cut in half. How do I get the bird to stay on its back when half of it is gone?
  • This is just like dissecting fetal pigs.
  • I learned a lot of anatomy from butchering chickens as a kid.
  • I learneda lot of German while butchering chickens as a kid.
  • Hmmmm. There's pin feathers on these. Grandma didn't pick the pin feathers off of these.
  • (While Mom and Dad were out cutting off chicken heads she taught me some German while we pulled pinfeathers off the first few.) I wonder how many of the German swear words I can still remember. Only about 5.
  • Sorry, Grandma, I know, I'm such a stumm kopf!
  • Hey, that's 2 words - Perhaps I'm really at 6!
  • What am I going to do with this back meat?
  • Ohhhh, I'll cook it in water tomorrow for a while and make some chicken stock and cut off the meat!
  • I'm so nonwasteful!
  • Since it is so cold out, we'll have soup later in the week.
  • I think it would be a good idea to make one for Easter dinner next spring, buy the kids some chicks and show the chicks some chicken and say to the chicks, "I have a crystal ball and it says that you will look like this next year."
  • This is good for the environment - Barely any transportation costs or transporation CO2 emissions. I'm so good.
  • Now we need to eat chicken.
  • I wonder what would be some good ways to fix chicken for the picky Hubby.
  • Tomorrow we're having roasted chicken and rice.
  • Shoot! Why did I put all of the chicken in the freezer?
  • Seriously, what is your favorite chicken recipe? - I really want to stay married!

3 comments:

Hubby said...

Breaded chicken nuggets or chicken strips.

Grandma G said...

Chicken Chow Mein
Add a can of Chinese vegetables to the cut-up chicken; disolve a few Tbsp. corn starch in some of the chicken broth or 1/4 cup cold water. Add soy sauce and simmer all together. Serve over rice and noodles.
You've got a brother-in-law who will say that's not Chinese food, but we can call it that anyway. ;-)

Heidi said...

I love all of the thoughts, it is amazing where the mind will take you! I also applaud your global conscientiousness!