We had checkups for the kids on Monday. And it just completely wiped me out! I should begin this post with a few facts that might be different about our doctor visits. The kids and I dr with a family friend. And the nurse, Dawn, absolutely loves Early Bird. My son's favorite thing about going to the dr is getting his flu sot - aka flu shot.
When I picked up the kids at daycare, Early Bird was so excited for this one. I can only imagine, as he was going to get 4 shots to get ready for kindergarten. Princess was to get NONE!
We had 4 pm appt, and we were on time - well almost. We did have time to get settled in the waiting room to read some books. Dawn came to get us. Early Bird jumped right up; Berry Princess clung to me and said, "I NOT!" By the time we got to the scale, it was a full out tantrum. I hear that this is normal for a 2yo. Then the drilling and screwing began - the dr in the hall said that Santa came and broke the roof, so they had to fix it. Early Bird was weighed and measured, Princess cried and screamed through his whole measurment. I put my metric skills to work and measured her myself - more drillin, more crying, more screaming - no torturing.
Then into the room. They do tend to put us on the end of the hall - away from all of the other patients. Dawn took Early's measurements - temp good, ears good, eyes good. Princess cried through his whole exam. We took her temp - it was high! Hmmmmm, I wonder why. Dawn knew it would be a wait, so she brought in the Dr's medical bag, filled with toys to entertain healthy kids.
After a while, the Dr. Cheri came in for a visit. Princess had calmed down by then. Cheri asked who was first and Princess said, "I do!" So her exam was first. "Who is the boss at your house?" "Mama." And she did all of the things she was supposed to be able to do, and she's smart too!
Then it was Early Bird's turn. Now this is where I learned a bit about my kid. "What is your favorite food?" "Spinach - in stuffed sells!" She told us that her son - 8yo - doesn't like anything green. (We did ask him on Wed night if liked green apples, to which he said, Yes. Early's eyes lit up, "OHHHHHH, so he does like SOME green stuff!") We did talk a bit about some speech accommodations he's making; I wasn't really concerned, as he's always adding more of the sounds to his repertoire.
All in all it was a good appointment. Early is in the 50th - 75th percentile for height and weight; Princess is in the 90th percentile for both. Both are at the same percentiles, they've always been on. So they grow and grow and so do we.
It was time for the shots. They brought in 2 nurses. I held his hands down. The nurses gave the shots. Early Bird watched the whole thing. There were no tears, until she told him that he couldn't bring the magnifying glass home from the dr bag! The kids came home with a sucker and 2 toys each!
We got home at 6:01 - I was exhausted. After 1 and 1/2 hours in a small room with two little kids, I snuck away to my room for some quiet time!
It sure has been a medical week!
1 comment:
Wow! I am so proud of EB! Dominic and Mandy went for their checkups on Thursday and D fot 3 shots. M got 4. Fun times.... :)
Post a Comment