One of the purposes of the walk is to raise money for ALS research and support for pALS (People with ALS) and families with ALS. As of last Tuesday we had set a goal of $500 and were only 1/2 way there. I put out a plea for help and got much more than I could have asked for! We are currently $15.41 away from $1000! Nearly double what our original goal was! I'm speechless! Thank you for setting a new record for our family of 4! Check it out here!
One of the other purposes is to raise awareness about ALS - On the day before the walk I went to a genetics update conference. It was a 4 hour lecture, minus the 11.5 minutes we got for a break. I miss learning about new science content. Back to the ALS...Did you know that someone just last year found a way to grow nerve cells in a petri dish? They took the cells from the hair bulb of an 81 year old woman with ALS, changed them into embryonic-like cells (no embryos used), grew them in a petri dish and are now watching them degenerate! What do you think they will learn from this?
Back to the walk... There were over 50 people there to walk just for Dad! I got to walk with my friend from 1st -12th grade. And we got to exchange stories with our 4th grade teacher! Boy did we have a lot to talk about. It went way too fast! I'd say we did the walk in record time, but on the way back we walked at 2 year old speed! I could only put in a few picts in the scrapbook. I'll have to add some more later! Enjoy!
![]() |
| Make a Smilebox scrapbook |

3 comments:
MIT = Missing in Taiwan?
We had so much fun - YAY MORGAN MARCHERS!!
I'll make up the $15.41 difference. Let's go all the way to $1,000!
The officiant at the wedding talked about MIT. I thought that meant that their kids would go to MIT. The translator thought that the kids should be Made in Taiwan. I think we can both be right!
I've had several offers to make up the difference! And I already got one in hand.
The $1000 was just the fundraising from the 4 of us in the Happy Haacky Family!
Post a Comment