Thursday, November 20, 2008

Tough Teachers

On Wednesday nights we have dinner and break out sessions for the whole family. It is kind of cool for several reasons.

One - Hubby is leading a session on humor and marriage. He pops in a DVD, hits play. We watch, laugh and then talk about it a bit. Everyone has a great time and leaves laughing. The pastor's wife thinks we are the marriage experts! Yeah, we've made a good impression!

Two - other people cook dinner, we eat, they clean up. There is a free will offering and next 6 week session I signed up to help in the kitchen. They usually start cooking at 1 or 2 in the afternooon. I get to make desserts! If you've got any ideas for desserts for 80 people, let me know!

Three - One of the grandmas get's to snuggle with the Princess and protect her from the rough and tumble almost-2-year-old boys.

Four - Early Bird gets to go to "Sunday School." His teachers rotate in and out; some weeks they go to confirmation and some weeks they teach the elementary aged kids. His teachers are my students from the school day. It is so fun to see them teaching, and see him working with the big kids.

Five - Wed nights shows the circle of life really. It really is one big happy family. I get to see my students at dinner, talk about it at school and go to marriage counseling with their parents! ''

Okay, so none of this was the purpose of this entry. It is weird to have the professional life (teaching) cross the personal life (kids), but I like it. It builds great rapport. Tonight a couple of boys that I have in class were talking and saying something about me (normal teenage boy stuff that noone else would even understand!) And saying how they were talking about me behind my back. I said, "And you wouldn't even say it in front of me!" Their reply, "Awe, you're so tough!" It was all in good spririt. . . Early Bird looked up wondering what was going on. (Truly I didn't even know what was going on. In fact I'm not even sure you needed to know all of that; I just wanted to show that I rough right back with them. And it was all in good spirit.)

I said, "Did you know that Mommy is a tough teacher?"
EB: Quizical look on his face.
Me: "I bet Sandy is a tough teacher too."
EB: "Ohhhhhh Noooooo. She lets us watch TV all the time!"
Me: Great!

Isn't that the longest entry just to hear about a 3 sentence conversation!? (This is a rhetorical question. No need to answer!)

No comments: